Algoma Public Health
- Tobacco Prevention
Algoma Youth Action Alliance (AYAA)
The AYAA is a health promotion coalition of youth aged 12 - 24 and adult supports. There is a committee in Wawa, Sault Ste. Marie, Elliot Lake and Blind River.
The purpose is to:
- Empower youth against harmful tobacco industry tactics that target youth.
- Create fun and meaningful ways for youth to take action on health issues that are important to them.
At the start of each school year, youth identify health priorities focused on tobacco prevention that are important to them and develop campaigns to create change in our community.
For more information please visit the Algoma Youth Action Alliance page.
Smoke Free Movies
The tobacco industry has a history of using Hollywood to market their products. Movies and videos are better than commercials and magazine ads because the audience is unaware of any sponsor involvement. We are not just talking R-rated films with obscenities and violence - these are often family features.
Commercial tobacco is not a normal business product, like some miracle cleaner or the latest smartphone app. We are talking about an extremely addictive product that kills half of its long term users.
Research shows the more that youth are exposed to tobacco images in movies, the more likely they are to start smoking. Youth in Ontario are passionate about the issue! Across Algoma, youth leaders have developed a Smoke Free Movies campaign to:
- Spark critical thinking
- Advocate for changes to reduce tobacco imagery in youth rated films
Check out the Algoma Youth Action Alliance's Smoke Free Movies Campaign Report.
The next time you are watching a movie or video, ask:
- Is there tobacco imagery in this movie? How much? Why? Is it needed?
- Are tobacco products promoted as a way to:
- Be attractive?
- Have fun or celebrate?
- Reflect of wealth or power?
- Relax or relieve stress?
- Be rebellious?
- Is it glamorizing tobacco products or showing the reality?
- Who benefits and who pays?
- Are there colours or images being shown that match different brands?
For more information visit:
Date of Creation: June 1, 2015
Last Modified: Oct 3, 2015