Algoma Public Health
Dental Health Educator
Full-Time - Sault Ste. Marie
Temporary (up to 18 months)
Reporting to the Manager of Child and Family Services, the Dental Health Educator (DHE) will work within an interdisciplinary team environment to deliver the Ontario Seniors Dental Care Program (OSDCP) and Healthy Smiles Ontario (HSO). As required, the DHE will provide program support as per the Ontario Public Health Standards for both Chronic Disease Prevention and Well-being and School Health.
Responsibilities will include service delivery, client navigation, data collection, oral health and program promotion, and clinical chair side assisting.
Ability, Experience, and Skills for this position include (but not limited to):
- Current Dental Assistant Certification Level II from a community college;
- Current registration with the Ontario Dental Assistants Association;
- Current HARP certification;
- Current CPR certification;
- Minimum of 2 years related work experience;
- Familiar with the Ontario Public Health Standards Requirements for Chronic Disease Prevention and Well-Being and School Health;
- Familiar with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Oral Health Protocol;
- Ability to communicate effectively with seniors, families, groups, and community partners using verbal and written communication;
- Must be self-directed and able to work effectively with seniors, families and community groups to meet program objectives;
- Ability to form partnerships with dental care providers and community organizations;
- Ability to display empathy and sensitivity to the needs of the target population;
- Experience with Electronic Health Records would be an asset;
- Ability to work independently and participate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Skills with facilitating presentations and/or educational sessions;
- Knowledge and/or experience in health promotion and/or leading a specific initiative or community campaign;
- Knowledge and understanding of health equity and how to apply it to public health practice;
- Strong interest in professional development and self-learning;
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs including Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and time management skills;
- The ability to communicate (verbally & in writing) in French or any other language(s) will be considered an asset;
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, including weekends and evenings, as required;
- Must have valid “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence and use of a reliable vehicle;
- A current Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) with satisfactory clearance is a condition of employment, at own expense.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Algoma Public Health will provide accommodation for candidates with disabilities, upon request
Submit applications to:
Algoma Public Health
c/o Human Resources
294 Willow Avenue
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 0A9
We would like to thank all candidates for responding; however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.