Algoma Public Health
About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccination information is changing rapidly in Canada and locally.
On This Page:
- About Approved COVID-19 Vaccines
- How are Vaccines Developed?
- Vaccine Safety
- Frequently Asked Questions
Are you a healthcare professional? Access vaccine information and planning resources
If you have questions specifically related to the vaccine itself you can call Ontario’s Vaccine Information phone line: 1-888-999-6488
Health Canada approved the following COVID-19 vaccines for use in prevention of COVID-19 virus:
- December 9, 2020 – the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
- December 23, 2020 – the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
- February 26, 2021 - the AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine
- March 5, 2021 - the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine
For more information:
- What you should know about COVID-19 vaccines:
- Health Canada authorization process on COVID-19 vaccines:
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
- AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine
- Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine
- Continued monitoring of COVID-19 vaccines:
(Source: Health Canada) This video explains the vaccine development process and how it is possible to achieve a COVID-19 vaccine, with significant domestic and international collaboration, in a much shorter period of time.Back to top
All available COVID-19 vaccines are approved by Health Canada and are safe and effective.
The safety of vaccines is carefully monitored, starting early in the product development and continuing for as long as the vaccine is being used. Health Canada’s independent drug authorization process is recognized around the world for its high standards and rigorous review. Decisions are based only on scientific and medical evidence showing that vaccines are safe and effective. The benefits must also outweigh any risks. For more information see Health Canada Vaccines and treatments for COVID-19.
Health Canada only authorizes vaccines in Canada after a thorough and independent review of the scientific evidence. Once a vaccine is in use, Health Canada continues to monitor and can quickly have it removed if safety concerns are identified.
For more information about vaccine safety and reporting in Ontario visit Public Health Ontario: Vaccine Safety.
For questions specifically related to the vaccine itself you can also call Ontario’s Vaccine Information phone line: 1-888-999-6488