Algoma Public Health
COVID-19 – Novel Coronavirus Update for Travellers
Mon, Jan 01, 0001
Algoma Public Health is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation with local, provincial and federal partners. The risk in our region remains low. We will continue to reassess and communicate health risk as new information becomes available.
For those in Canada who are considering travel abroad:
• Avoid non-essential travel to China, and avoid all travel to Hubei Province
• Be aware of new travel health notices and take precautions if travelling to Hong Kong, Iran, Japan, Italy, Singapore, or South Korea
For travellers returning from specific impacted areas
Travellers who have returned from Hubei province, including Wuhan City, should:
- Stay at home and avoid close contact with others, including those in their home, for a total of 14 days from the date they left Hubei province.
- Contact their local public health department within 24 hours of arriving in Canada. For Algoma residents, this means contacting Algoma Public Health at 705-759-5404 or TF 1-866-892-0172, ext. 5404.
Travellers who have returned from anywhere else in mainland China, or Hong Kong, Iran, Japan, Italy, Singapore, or South Korea should:
- Monitor themselves for symptoms including fever, cough and difficulty breathing for 14 days after leaving the impacted area.
- If symptoms develop, call Algoma Public Health prior to seeking medical care. Algoma residents may reach Algoma Public Health at 705-759-5404 or TF 1-866-892-0172, ext. 5404.. If you need immediate medical attention, call 911 and mention your travel history and symptoms.
At this point, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) in the Algoma region. Because this is an evolving situation, we encourage the public to stay up to date with reliable information. Check the APH website often as we update it with new information and answers to frequently asked questions.