Sault Ste. Marie drinking water update

News Release
For immediate release
November 9, 2011

During the recent conversion of the water disinfection method used by the PUC, some of the public have experienced taste and odour in the drinking water.

Initially, to aid in the process, the remedy was to flush the water from household plumbing and the distribution system. Now that the conversion process is complete, flushing may not remove the odour or change the taste.

Here are two suggestions if you are experiencing odour or taste in the water.

• Fill a clean pitcher with tap water and allow it to sit overnight in the fridge.
• Use an activated charcoal filter such as a filter jug. (ie. Brita, PUR)

Over the next few weeks the chlorine levels in the water will be reduced until ideal chlorine concentrations are met. The lowered chlorine levels will result in a significant improvement in the taste and odour.

The water remains safe to drink and bacteria and chlorine levels are continuously being monitored. The goal is to have the least amount of chlorine added that will maintain safe water.

For more information about the process please visit the PUC website at http://www.ssmpuc.com/

-30-

Media contact only:

Charlene Katzenback
Public Health Inspector
Algoma Public Health
705-942-4646 ext. 3106


ID# 11-41