Exemption from Immunization

Algoma Public Health

Exemption from Immunization

  • Facebook
  • Email

Under the following legislation children and adolescents attending primary or secondary school in Ontario must have proof of immunization against the following designated diseases:


  • Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella
  • Meningococcal Disease
  • Pertussis (whooping cough)
  • Varicella (chickenpox) – For children born in 2010 or later

Health Protection and Promotion Act, 1990
Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014

Immunization School Pupils Act, 1990


The legislation identified above also provides the Medical Officer of Health with the legal authority to maintain immunization records on children and to take action with respect to inadequately immunized children, including exclusion during communicable disease outbreaks.


Under the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014 and the Immunization School Pupils Act, 1990, parents are required to comply with immunization requirements for their children. This requirement can be waived if an exemption form is completed when immunizations cannot be given due to medical reasons, or if you object to immunization for reasons of conscience or religious belief.

Medical Exemption Forms


If your child needs to be exempted from immunization for medical reasons, a physician or nurse practitioner must complete the appropriate form. 



Conscience and Religious Belief Exemption Forms 


If you are choosing to exempt your child from immunization for conscience or religious belief, you will need to complete one of the following forms and have it witnessed by a Commissioner for taking affidavits. 



The Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief must be witnessed by a Commissioner for taking affidavits. Commissioners are employed at your local Municipal office.

Blind River
Town Hall
11 Hudson Street.

Elliot Lake
City Government Office 
45 Hillside Drive North 

Sault Ste. Marie

Civic Centre 
99 Foster Drive


Town Hall 
40 Broadway Ave


Please bring the original copy of the medical exemption or the witnessed conscience or religious affidavit to your local Algoma Public Health office. If you move to the jurisdiction of another public health unit you may be required to have a new affidavit signed at that time.

To review the risks and responsibilities associated with not vaccinating your child please review the Canadian Pediatric Society: Choosing not to vaccinate your child? Know your risks and responsibilities.


If you have any questions, please contact your local Algoma Public Health office.

Last Modified: August, 2023