Algoma Public Health
Algoma Public Health is committed to respecting your privacy and protecting your personal health information. Personal Health Information is being collected under the authority of the following:
- Health Protection and Promotion Act
- Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Personal Health Information Protection Act and other legislated Acts
Algoma Public Health will protect your personal health information by making sure:
- Your information is not lost, stolen or used by someone that should not have access.
- Your information is kept private and is stored and/or disposed of in a secure way.
- That everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information in the way you have agreed it can be used.
Collection, Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Health Information
Your request for care from us implies consent for our collection, use and disclosure of your personal health information for purposes related to your care. This includes personal health information that may be contained in and shared through electronic client records.
Algoma Public Health collects, uses and discloses (shares) personal health information for the purpose of:
- Providing health services;
- Planning, administering and managing programs and services;
- Educating those acting on our behalf in providing health care, such as medical students or residents
- Conducting quality improvements and research activities;
- Compiling statistics to assess the health of our population;
- Complying with legal and regulatory requirements; and
- Fulfilling other purposes permitted or required by law.
Personal Health Records or Freedom of Information Requests
You have the right and choice to:
- request a copy of your personal health information; or
- ask us to make a correction to your record if you believe the information is inaccurate or incomplete
- withdraw consent from some of the ways APH uses your information, subject to the legal exceptions.
- request a copy of general records under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Submit a Request
- Complete the Request for Access/Correction Form
- Pay $5 applicable fee, if required. Payments can be made in person or by mail with completed form.
- Submit your completed form to the Privacy Officer by email to email@example.com, by fax to 705-759-2540, or by mail or in person drop-off to:
Algoma Public Health
294 Willow Ave.,
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 0A9
For more information about our privacy practices, call our privacy officer at 705-942-4646, toll-free 1-866-8920172 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have the right to make a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you are concerned with how we have handled your personal health information.
The Commissioner can be reached at:
The Information and Privacy Commission of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto ON M4W 1A8
Date created: June 1, 2015
Last modified: March 23, 2023